Date:      Tue, 28 Oct 2003 17:58:21 -0500
From:      Jud <judmarc@fastmail.fm>
To:        Jason Williams <jwilliams@courtesymortgage.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with 'make world' stuff

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 14:09:24 -0800, Jason Williams
<jwilliams@courtesymortgage.com> wrote:

> Once I had my sources updated, I did the following:
>
> I booted into single mode:
>
> cd /usr/src
> make buildworld
>
> cd /usr/src
> make buildkernel
> make installkernel
>
> I rebooted to test the kernel and that is where I ran into trouble. I
> did not type make installworld as suggested in the handbook. It said to
> test the kernel first.
>
> I was told I did not have to run mergemaster since this was a brand new
> install of 4.8. Is that incorrect?
>
> I appreciate your help.

If the new kernel boots, that's fine.  Just continue on with the rest of
the Handbook procedure.  After you have installed the new world, run
mergemaster, and rebooted, then you can test your userland (apps/utilities
like top and ps).

Stick with the Handbook procedure.  Customized build procedures *usually*
work (otherwise people wouldn't use them), but the folks who build FreeBSD
try to ensure that the steps outlined in the Handbook will pretty much
*always* work.

BTW, there's a prescribed step I don't see above.  Before buildworld, you
should update any config files necessary for buildworld by running
mergemaster -p (mergemaster with the "pre-buildworld" option).  See
Section 21.4.3 of the Handbook at <URL:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html>.

Jud