Date:      Tue, 4 Jun 2002 16:50:05 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Peter Ulrich Kruppa <root@pukruppa.de>
To:        Eugene Panchenko <replicator@ngs.ru>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How to remove ALL ports at once?

> I have a small question, but it is important for me to know.  I had been =
using my system for a long time, and without portupgrading my ports.  So, r=
ight now I have three versions of gettext, different iconv libraries and ut=
ils (biconv and iconv), QT toolkits of several versions - all with overlapp=
ing files in +CONTENTS, so I cant just pkg_delete them.

> So my question is:  can I do this:
>
> 1) Backup all I needed ~/.app_i_use/ directories
> 2) Backup all I needed /usr/local/etc/* and /usr/local/etc/rc.d/*
> 3) rm -fr /usr/local/*
> 4) Backup mine /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config
> 5) rm -fr /usr/X11R6/
> 6) rm -fr /var/db/pkg/*
>
> And start with clean, base system again, just after
> installing FreeBSD from the beginning??
>
> This is very important for me to know how I can remove
> EVERYTHING that got on my hardrive from ports, and not to
> touch BASE system at all.
Everything you installed via ports or pkg_add can be
deinstalled and deleted by
# pkg_delete -rf *
If you like, you may also remove your complete ports directory
and cvsup to the latest version. If not you can
#cd /usr/ports
# make clean
(will take some hours)

Good luck :-)