Date:      Wed, 12 May 2004 16:24:24 +0200
From:      "Angelo Turetta" <aturetta@commit.it>
To:        "Pierre Beyssac" <beyssac@enst.fr>, <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: "MODE_SENSE_BIG command timeout - resetting" at boot

----- Original Message -----
From: "Pierre Beyssac" <beyssac@enst.fr>
Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 2004 3:28 PM
> Hi,
>
> I'm having the following problem on a new machine I just installed.
>
> At boot time, exactly 20 times, during device probe:
> acd0: MODE_SENSE_BIG command timeout - resetting
> ata0: resetting devices .. done
> Then:
> acd0: CDROM <SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC-152G> at ata0-master PIO4
            (....  ....)
> --
> Pierre Beyssac pb@enst.fr

Try setting the CDROM as SLAVE on its bus. It helped me once, and I can tell
this bug has been present in 4.x for at least 2 years, but nobody with some
ATA knowledge ever tried to diagnose it
(http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=56889).

It's obviously a matter of device/controller/driver interaction, the problem
is not widespread. I personally have a PC exhibiting this behaviour (runs OK
with the CD-ROM jumpered as SLAVE), I would be glad to help, if properly
guided.

Angelo Turetta