Date:      Fri, 28 Sep 2001 22:20:42 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@ns.sol.net>
To:        swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
Cc:        barney@databus.com (Barney Wolff), freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 127/8 continued

> Both "ifconfig" and "networking" man pages mention "point to point",
> but neither gives a clue as to what it might be or that it isn't
> supported by the Ethernet drivers (though I guess the later really
> belongs in the driver man pages -- a caution would be good though).

Both mention it because it is one type of network connection.  Ethernet
is a multipoint type of network connection.  T1 (or PPP or SLIP or ATM
PVC) is a point to point.  ifconfig mentions it because it is necessary
to know how to configure both types of networks.

My own feeling is that describing terms such as these are not really the
function of the BSD manual system; if you're working with networks, then
I would expect that there's a fundamental understanding that a T1 is a
point to point network and that an Ethernet is a multipoint network.  A
good intro-to-networking text will clear that up for most people.

Note that the BSD manual doesn't describe things that are certainly more
technical, such as how to calculate netmask/broadcast, and/or their
functions...