Date:      Mon, 14 May 2001 22:02:27 +0100
From:      Mark Drayton <mark.drayton@4thwave.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nfs mounts / su / yp

Antoine Beaupre (LMC) (Antoine.Beaupre@ericsson.ca) wrote:
> Matt Piechota wrote:
> > While the idea isn't bad, SMB has enough flaws that I wouldn't use
> > it.
>
> I wasn't aware of that. Flaws in the implementation or in the design?
> I thought samba was pretty well written, but I guess this is compared
> to their Windows counterpart. ;)

SMB != Samba. Samba is just a UNIX implementation of the SMB (session
message block) protocol. Samba is very well written (in fact MS use one
of the Samba stress testing programs to test their own code) but the
actual SMB protocol itself is reputed to be evil. I've never looked at
it in any depth so I can't say.

Cheers,

--

Mark Drayton