Date:      Mon, 10 Jun 1996 10:21:49 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Stephen Fisher <lithium@cia-g.com>
To:        Gordon Henderson <gordon@drogon.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and 3com590/595 cards.

I haven't had many problems with the vx0 driver except yesterday it got
weird system errors then it rebooted!  Never seen that kind of error
before.  So I was trying 3c509's - This driver is said to be buggy too.
[It only detects it half the time when booting.]

I really would like to use 3com cards.. anyone have workarounds?  Any way
I can help?  I use 2.1R.

On Mon, 10 Jun 1996, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> I recently built a new server with FreeBSD 2.2-960501-SNAP to make use of
> the 3com590 cards that we wished to use.
>
> The driver support for them is very flakey. I can repeatedly cause the
> system to stop all traffic flowing over the ethernet card, requiring an
>   ifconfig vx0 down ; sleep 1 ; ifconfig vx0 up
> to restore connectivity.
>
> Is anyone working on a better driver? especially one that uses all
> features of the hardware (and not just polling) as we also have a
> requirement to use 3c595's as soon as possible to make use of their
> 100Mb/sec transfers.

 - Steve
  - Systems Manager
  - Community Internet Access