Date:      Thu, 26 Nov 2009 13:46:01 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Andreas Rudisch <"cyb."@gmx.net>
Cc:        herbert langhans <herbert.raimund@gmx.net>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ifconfig - GUI interface available?

On Thu, 26 Nov 2009, Andreas Rudisch wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 16:35:55 +0100
> herbert langhans <herbert.raimund@gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> Its merely a matter of comfort. Like on OSX or the infamous MS-thing, there is a simple window. It shows all the ssid, you click on one (maybe the password is already assigned) and you get the certain wifi net.
>>
>> I use the laptop in different networks, often its auto selecting the wrong one. It would be great to point and click and get the connection..
>
> Hence the link and the keyword wpa_supplicant. Any way, here is another link:
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=wpa_supplicant.conf&sektion=5
>
> Take a look at the example section. You can define multiple networks.

Yes, but wpa_supplicant wants to autoselect.  Is there a way to make it
choose a specific network?

As far as GUI goes, there's good news and bad news.  The good news is
that a couple GUI network managers are around:

http://projects.gnome.org/NetworkManager/
http://wicd.sourceforge.net/screenshot.php

The bad news is that neither seem to have been ported to FreeBSD.

This Debian page suggests using logical interface names for each network
which could probably be used with FreeBSD.  It also mentions ifscheme
(which also doesn't seem to have been ported):

http://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse#SwitchingConnections

And then my memory suggests there is or was some type of network profile
setting through /etc/rc.conf, but I can't find more details.

Finally, there's this:

http://www.kts.org/hm/download/setnetparm/