Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 2000 21:58:18 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        joseph@randomnetworks.com
Cc:        Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.ORG>, Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Best way to do this?

joseph@randomnetworks.com wrote:

>         If you are looking for votes to do this count me for one.  At a
> minimum the layout for all of the Apache ports should be identical.  4.2
> should not go out the door with out this.

	I have to say I agree. The current state of things is just whacked, and
it's dragged out too long. Knu has a nifty little routine in the cvsweb
port that I cribbed for something I'm working on. I was actually
considering submitting a patch to bsd.port.mk to this effect since I
think it would help people in both camps. The gist of my suggestion is
below. I think we want to keep the compatability for
$prefix/share/apache in case someone has already installed a bunch of
stuff there, although I wouldn't be heartbroken if it went away.

.if !exists(${PREFIX}/www) && exists(${PREFIX}/share/apache)
WWW_DIR?=	share/apache
WWW_CGIDIR?=	share/apache/cgi-bin
WWW_DATADIR?=	share/apache/data
WWW_ICONSDIR?=	share/apache/icons
.else
WWW_DIR?=	www
WWW_CGIDIR?=	www/cgi-bin
WWW_DATADIR?=	www/data
WWW_ICONSDIR?=	www/icons
.endif

Then you use it (for example) like this:

RUN_DEPENDS=    ${PREFIX}/${WWW_CGIDIR}:${PORTSDIR}/www/apache13

	Putting the files in /usr/local (ok, $PREFIX) /www/[foo] is more
generic, (i.e., not apache-centric), more backwards compatible, and
helps avoid what I feel is unneeded pollution of $PREFIX/share/. This
would make life easier for all of the www porters.

Just a thought,

Doug
--
    Life is an essay test. Long form. Spelling counts.