Date:      Sat, 03 Oct 1998 13:50:00 -0700
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
To:        rreiner@fscinternet.com
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, Chris Stenton <jacs@gnome.co.uk>, grog@lemis.com
Subject:   Re: DDS3 problems with DDS-2 & DDS-1 tapes

>I noticed a thread on the freebsd-hardware list from a little while
>back re. getting a DDS-3 drive to work with DDS-2 and DDS-1
>tapes... I have the same problem, our new HP DDS-3 drive works
>flawlessly with new DDS-3 tapes, *appears* to write to old tapes
>from my DDS-1 drive (i.e. the write completes without complaining),
>but cannot read them back (fails with messages like this: "st0:
>MEDIUM ERROR asc:9,0 Track following error field replaceable
>unit: 2").
>
>Did anyone ever find a solution to this?

I emailed Seagate tech support and they sent me a flash BIOS update.
I flashed the new BIOS and it has worked fine ever since.  Go to
http://www.seagate.com/ and fill out a service request form.
(Assuming your HP drive is actually an Archive/Seagate unit.)

  Michael L. VanLoon    mvanloon@exmsft.com    michaelv@MindBender.serv.net
      Contract software development for Windows NT, Windows 95 and Unix.
             Windows NT and Unix server development in C++ and C.