Date:      Sun, 20 Apr 1997 12:49:38 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        kpneal@pobox.com (Kevin P. Neal)
Cc:        abelits@phobos.illtel.denver.co.us, vinay@agni.nuko.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need a common passwd file among machines

> At NCSU they use Hesiod+Kerberos to handle logins. This way they don't have
> to keep I don't know how many hundred or thousand machines /etc/passwd files
> current.
>
> Also, they don't have passwords going on the wire in the clear -- the
> passwords are handled in a safe manner by Kerberos. Along with this is
> the fact that passwords are *never* stored on client machines -- a
> security bonus.
>
> This is much saner than distributing /etc/passwd files everywhere, IMHO.

I didn't mention Hesiod because I didn't know if it was supported on
all the plaforms he has (some of them must be old if they do not have
shadowing).

I also didn't mention Hesiod because it's a *huge* step to take.

Finally, he's already in a "vouchsafe" environment because of the NFS
credentials ...unless they are using Kerberos tickets for the NFS as
well, and that's even *less* likely to be able to be universally
supported.  I can replace user space authentication mechanisms with
a lot of pain, but replacing kernel proxy authentication for a system
(and probably replacing their NFS as well) is a step I wouldn't tell
anyone to take.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org