Date:      Thu, 10 May 2007 20:38:40 +0000
From:      Darren Reed <darrenr@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        Greg Larkin <glarkin@sourcehosting.net>
Cc:        'Robert Watson' <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Experiences with 7.0-CURRENT and vmware.

On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 09:37:03AM -0400, Greg Larkin wrote:
> > > But if if_em is probing, it suggests a VMware
> > > change rather than a FreeBSD change, which you may be able
> > > to revert by
> > > telling it to expose a Lance-style device as opposed to an
> > > Intel device.
> >
> > There's no way to choose the type of card vmware emulates.
>

> Hi Darren,
>
> Have you tried modifying the .vmx file after you've created the VM?
> For instance, I want to use the em driver with my FreeBSD 6.2 VMs, so
> my .vmx file contains these lines:
>
> Ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"
> Ethernet1.virtualDev = "e1000"
>
> I had to change them manually from:
>
> Ethernet0.virtualDev = "vlance"
> Ethernet1.virtualDev = "vlance"
>
> Perhaps you can force the virtual devices to vlance, if they are not
> already configured that way.

I didn't know this existed in the .vmx file - there definately
isn't a knob in the GUI for it.

That said, this is of no help - the vlance device is not available
when you're using a 64bit environment (I am), so I'm just going to
need to wait for issues with the em driver to be worked out.

Thanks for mentioning this.

Cheers,
Darren