Date:      Sat, 07 Sep 1996 12:11:18 +1000
From:      Greg Healy <heagre@epoch.com.au>
To:        Branson Matheson <branson@widomaker.com>
Cc:        Paul Walsh <paul@nation-net.com>, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: suidperl from httpd not working

At 08:45 5/09/96 -0400, Branson Matheson wrote:
>On Thu, 5 Sep 1996, Paul Walsh wrote:
>
>> Is there any way an httpd user (nobody) can run a setuid perl script through
>> cgi? Does it have to be a 'real' user.
>
> This is a bad idea security wise. It would be much better if you were
> to create a seperate user/httpd pair and run it like that.

Isn't there a CERT advisory out for PERl 5.002 at this moment

Sourced from ftp://ftp.cert.org/pub/cert_advisories/CA-96.12.suidperl_vul

CERT(sm) Advisory CA-96.12
Original issue date: June 26, 1996
Last revised: August 30, 1996
              Information previously in the README was inserted
              into the advisory.

              A complete revision history is at the end of this file.

Topic: Vulnerability in suidperl
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The CERT Coordination Center has received reports of a vulnerability in
systems that contain the suidperl program and that support saved
set-user-ID and saved set-group-ID. By exploiting this vulnerability,
anyone with access to an account on such a system may gain root access.

Saved set-user-IDs and set-group-IDs are sometimes referred to as POSIX
saved IDs. suidperl is also known as sperl followed by a version number,
as in sperl5.002.

Perl versions 4 and 5 can be compiled and installed in such a way that
they will be vulnerable on some systems. If you have installed the
suidperl or sperl programs on a system that supports saved set-user-ID and
set-group-ID, you may be at risk.

The CERT Coordination Center recommends that you first disable the
suidperl and sperl programs (Section III.A). If you need the
functionality, we further recommend that you either apply a patch for
this problem or install Perl version 5.003 (Section III.B). If neither
a patch nor a new version are viable alternatives, we recommend
installing the wrapper written by Larry Wall as a workaround for this
problem (Section III.C).

Greg
--
Greg Healy                   ghealy@epoch.com.au                Bimberi Systems
Network Consultancy         Mobile +61 419 401 747           FAX +61 6 291 4818