Date:      Tue, 7 Feb 2017 22:36:11 -0800
From:      Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
To:        Vincent Olivier <vincent@up4.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD virtualization <freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Ubuntu UEFI Won't Reboot

Hi Vincent,

> So after a minute or two, I get the UEFI Shell and when I exit, I get
> something that appears to be the bhyve BIOS (?) when I go from there
> to the Boot Maintenance Manager, and then =C2=AB Boot From File =C2=BB =
I can
> select the block device, then <EFI>, then <ubuntu>, then grubx64.efi
> and then I get the Grub menu from which I can select Ubuntu, which in
> turn boots the OS just fine. Now, the question is, can I configure
> bhyve to look for that file instead of whatever it is currently
> looking for and not finding? Or do I have to modify the ESP?

  This is a known issue in that UEFI nvvars aren't written to permanent=20
storage (e.g. see=20
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-virtualization/2016-September=
/004808.html).=20
A number of guest o/s's use nvvars to handle boot order/non-standard=20
boot loader names etc, and expect changes to these to be persistent.

  There is a fix that just needs to be comitted (to both bhyve and=20
UEFI/bhyve). Hope to get to that soon.

later,

Peter.