Date:      Tue, 30 Sep 2003 18:15:08 -0700
From:      Bill Campbell <freebsd@celestial.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Fax Server?

On Tue, Sep 30, 2003, rtjohan@syspres.com wrote:
>Has anyone used freebsd to setup a fax server?
>
>Looking at Hylafax (http://www.hylafax.org)
><http://www.hylafax.org/HylaFAQ/Q001.html%29>. Any others worth looking at?

We've used HylaFAX since it was called flexfax (and hosted the HylaFAX
mailing list for a couple of years after SGI asked Sam Leffler to get it
off SGI).  It's worked well for me on SCO OpenServer, and Linux, but I
haven't gotten around to trying it on FreeBSD.

>Which fax modem cards are supported by freebsd?

We've always used MultiTech external modems.  They're reliable, cheap, work
well with fax, and you don't have to reboot the system when a modem gets
wedged.  IMHO internal modems are to be avoided at all costs.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill@Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

``Capitalism works primarily because most of the ways that a company can be
scum end up being extremely bad for business when there's working
competition.'' -rra