Date:      Fri, 27 Aug 1999 18:02:56 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Please review: rc file changes

Sheldon Hearn wrote in list.freebsd-hackers:
 > What follows is a diff that presents Doug's changes (which must have
 > required quite a bit of effort, thanks!)

Yeah -- Thanks Doug!

 > Specifically, case statements look more like what a lot of folks are
 > used to seeing, and conditionals that don't need to be case sensitive
 > have not been converted to case statements.

The case statements have another advantage over if/test --
case is a shell-builtin, test is not.  Therefore, "case" is
more efficient.

I'd vote for using "case" instead of if/test where possible.

 > I think the effort which Doug has put into this is great and would make
 > for a better rc. It's a pity that a few cosmetic issues generated so
 > much pooh-pooh'ing. :-(

I'm very sorry that the suggestions in my previous mail
caused a wrong impression.  I appreciate Doug's work very
much.

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)