Date:      Wed, 7 Oct 1998 06:52:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      vega vega <vega1@rocketmail.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   setting up ethernet interface

after my network connection finally came up fo me at
school, i cant get a connection to the dhcp server to
get my static ip

so my situation is:

i know the ip's of the nameservers, i don't know the
gateway address, and my card is some generic kingston
(uses the de driver)

setting up on this network re1quires me to get a
temporary ip (which i also dont know, since it is
just an arbitrary one to get me to the dhcp server).
with this temp ip i connect to the dhcp server on the
web and register to get my permanent ip.

the problem is, i cant connect to the dhcp server. i
have been to Studded's page that deals with that that
but when i commented out the line in rc.conf that
sets up the de0 device, dhclient wont find it anymore
(i also dont have an /etc/dhclient-script if that
makes a difference, because i dont know where to find
one) but if i give the de0 device some arbitrary ip,
i get a pulse, but still cant connect to the dhcp
server. im thinking my main problem is that i dont
know the gateway or temp ip numbers.

thanks to anyone that is still alive after reading
this far...