Date:      Sat, 20 Apr 1996 01:53:08 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        valtech@caribnet.net (Sean Batson)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Virtual Memory

Sean Batson wrote in message ID
<m0uAQce-000FOyC@prop>:
> When using X windows with Netscape running, I found that the virtual
> memory was being used up and not being paged out after quiting from
> the Netscape browser. Is there a memory manager for X windows? The only
> way I can recover my VM is terminating the Xwindows interface and
> restarting.

The problem is Netscape is doing a lot of bitmap operations and the
default malloc in all releases to date has a memory leak in it,
meaning programs (like the X server) eat up memory when forced to do
heavy malloc/free cycles. Later releases of the X server use a
different malloc which partially solves this problem, and a totally
new malloc will be present in 2.2 which is even more efficient.

If you want, you can build your own X server (and make it smaller as
you can cut out the drivers you don't use), and if you link it against
the GNU malloc (-lgnumalloc) it'll go partway to solving your problem.

Gary
--
Gary Palmer                                            FreeBSD Core Team Member
FreeBSD - Turning PC's into workstations. See http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/ for info.