Date:      Sat, 23 Nov 1996 15:30:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu (Charles Henrich)
Cc:        toor@dyson.iquest.net, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Stereo RealAudio for FreeBSD!

> > I certainly happy that Real Audio is supporting us!!!  I do want a
> > scheme to archive some of my code and test results for audio processing
> > toys that I am playing with.  zip just doesn't work for audio files.  If
> > I get a 5:1 compression, I would be happy (if there weren't any artifacts.)
>
> Use the mpegaudio kit on cdrom.com (ask me if its not there).  You tell it at
> what bit rate to encode, at 256kbps (5:1) I would defy anyone to be able to
> discern the difference between the two streams, hell that even applies to
> 192kbps, its only when you drop below 112 you start to see problems.

It appears that mpeg encoding at 128k (just tried the stuff), is on the order
of the difference between various excellent headphones....   Not too awful
bad.  Have heard some minor artifacts, but the length compression is nice.
Would likely never notice them on even good speakers (with my ears.)

John