Date:      Tue, 20 Jul 2004 09:00:19 -0500
From:      "Adam M Ryan" <adam@fastservers.net>
To:        "'Josh Ockert'" <torstenvl@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Preferred KVM switch

For the USB mouse, I used a usb -> ps2, only issue is that from the KVM
switch to the laptop, (which has a USB plug-in) I then have to convert it
ps/2 -> USB.  Yes I know, a big mess.  But the signal is totally lost from
KVM.  Very strange.  I might just have to get a separate mouse.

Has anyone tried this:
http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=36&scid=45&prid=502

Something like this would be ideal, but again I am not sure if its worth a
hoot!

Any of the newer KVM switches shouldn't distort the image. I'm thinking that
you have a switch that maybe only supports a resolution that's lower than
the one you have? Get a good XGA or SXGA one and above all don't force your
resolution higher than what the KVM switch can handle, even if your monitor
and vid card is fine with it. Ideally it'd just be a physical hard-transfer
of signal so it would be resolution independent but ... well to be honest I
don't know why it isn't like that.

As for the USB mouse, have you considered just getting a USB->PS/2
converter?

PS -- Oops, almost top-posted ;-)