Date:      Tue, 29 May 2001 21:58:33 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Mark DuPrey <skippyd@telocity.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Vaio with TI-1131 Cardbus problems - IRQs?

In message <3B143E0A.1060702@telocity.com> Mark DuPrey writes:
: recently purchased a Sony Vaio PCG-729 with a TI-1131 PCI-Cardbus
: bridge. According to the newsgroups this should work with the 4.2 kernel
: I have loaded on it but I'll be darned if I can get it to work.

Should work.

: pccard: card inserted, slot 1
: May29 19:56;48 mnemosyne pccard[55]: Card "Linksys"("Combo PCMCIA
: EthernetCard (EC2T)") [2.0] [(null)] matched "Linksys" ("Combo PCMCIA
: EthernetCard (EC2T)") [(null)] [(null)]
:
: sometimes the above lines are echoed more than once (the card inserted
: line a couple of times then the identification line 2-3 times). Then I
: get a nice lockup which requires a hard reset and a couple minutes of
: fsck-ing. If pccardd is NOT running then I get the above lines and the
: laptop continues to run leading me to believe the problem occurs when
: pccardd attempts to configure the thing. Any pointers in the right
: direction or other assistance will be greatly appreciated. TIA and all that.

pccardd must be running, or you won't get the above line :-).  At
least not the one after pccard: card inserted.  Chances are good this
is an IRQ problem.  Can you send me the output of boot -v so I can
check it against the datasheets?  Don't have a card in the laptop when
you do this.  I'm most interested in the cardbus config space part of
the output if you can't save it all.

I've seen problems with this in two ways.  One when you pickeda bad
management IRQ.  One when the bridge is misprogrammed.  I think the
former is happening, but maybe the latter is happening.

Warner