Date:      Mon, 15 Jul 2013 11:54:16 -0700
From:      Michael Loftis <mloftis@wgops.com>
To:        Daniel Eischen <deischen@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: LDAP authentication confusion

nss_ldap fulfills most of the get*ent calls, thus based on the bits of
your configuration you've exposed I think you're ending up with that
behavior and not using pam_ldap at all.  Instead the authentication is
happening via nsswitch fulfilling getpwent() call's (the passwd: files
ldap line in nsswitch.conf)