Date:      Fri, 7 Jan 2000 22:34:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      Stan Brown <stanb@netcom.com>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Networking)
Subject:   Help please with proxying for Netscape.

Sorry to post this here, but I sent it questiosn, where it was met with a
resounding silence. I really need to understand this.

	I have several FreeBSD machines which live behind a coporate firewall.
	Untill recently access to http browsing was on "need only" basis. It
	was throught a SOCKS firewall that did some sort of authentication.

	Now it has been opened up to "everyon", except the MIS types on
	"support' microsloth machines :-(

	After having looked at one of thes machines, I see that Nescape on the
	is configured to use "automatic proxyin" and this proxy is pointed to a
	file on a Novell fileserver. Here are the contents of this file:

function FindProxyForURL(url, host)
{
        if (isInNet(host, "170.85.18.11", "255.255.255.128"))
		return "SOCKS 170.85.17.10:1080; DIRECT";
        else
		if (isInNet(host, "170.85.0.0", "255.255.0.0"))
                	return "DIRECT";

        	else
                	return "SOCKS 170.85.17.10:1080; DIRECT";

}

	Now, what this does is pretty obvious, if the reference is outside our
	corporate net (170.85.*) it calls a SOCKS proxy, otherwise, it goes
	direct.

	I need to be able to replicate this behavior for the UNIX machines
	behind the firewall. I have a internal FreeBSD machine that runs
	Apache, that I think I can do this with, but just putting this file on
	it, and pointing my UNIX clients to it results in nescape error,
	referencing a MIME type error.

	Can someone please educate me on how to make this work?

	Thanks

--
Stan Brown     stanb@netcom.com                                    404-996-6955
Factory Automation Systems