Date:      Tue, 09 May 2000 12:45:36 -0500
From:      "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffunip@asme.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   What exactly is an embedded system ?

I was undecided if this should go to questions or to hackers...

I understand that FreeBSD is used a lot for embedded systems. I thought
this would mean that the kernel, libc and some simple userland utilities
should be portable for any of the "embedded targets" supported by gcc.
On gcc, embedded systems seem to be OS independent: i386-elf instead of
i386-freebsd-elf etc...

I tried to build some userland stuff (ls, csh, strip, make) on Unixware
and found that we use many unstandard headers (fts.h, err.h) on these
utilities, FWIW I ended up using netbsd's make that was more portable.
Would it be desirable to make these utilities more portable?

Is there any relation between the system being portable and it's use in
embedded systems?

cheers,

    Pedro.