Date:      Mon, 25 May 1998 13:04:52 -0700
From:      Jake <jake@checker.org>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   some questions about -current

Ok, so I've got devfs running, that's pretty cool.
I just put soft-updates in my kernel, and enabled
it on my filesystems.  Is it ok to have it enabled for root?

/dev/wd0s1a on / (local, soft-updates, writes: sync 4 async 22)
devfs on dummy_mount (local)
devfs on /dev (local, noexec, read-only)
mfs:20 on /tmp (asynchronous, local, writes: sync 5 async 21)
/dev/wd0s1f on /usr (local, soft-updates, writes: sync 2 async 73)
/dev/wd0s1e on /var (local, soft-updates, writes: sync 2 async 145)
procfs on /proc (local)
/dev/wd0s2 on /dos (local)

I get some kernel messages on bootup, I guess due to the softupdates :
May 25 12:48:40 elephants /kernel: ffs_mountfs: superblock updated
May 25 12:48:41 elephants /kernel: ffs_mountfs: superblock updated
is that supposed to happen?

only other thing out of the ordinary is that I get a couple wierd
messages on "shutdown -r now".
wall: /dev/jake no such file or directory
wall: /dev/ is a directory
any idea what's going on?  I used dircmp.pl to compare my /etc to the new
/etc when I upgraded to -current from -stable, only thing it reported
was to copy over rc.shutdown, which I did.

Thanks

Jake

--
http://www.checker.org/~jake