Date:      Sat, 07 Oct 2000 00:08:48 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Ken Bolingbroke <freebsd@bolingbroke.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: `time make buildworld'

Ken Bolingbroke wrote:

> I previously mentioned my adventures upgrading a Pentium 133 from 2.2.5 to
> 4.1.1, but I'm noting some odd behavior with the length of time it takes
> to buildworld:
>
>  -Running 2.2.5, buildworld to 2.2.8-S, ~11 hours
>
>  -Running 2.2.8-S, buildworld to 3.2-S, ~12 hours
>
>  -Running 3.2-S, buildworld to 3.5-S, ~12 hours
>
>  -Cheated, ran buildworld on a PII-350 for 4.1.1-S, 1 hour, 54 minutes,
> then ran installworld over NFS
>
>  -Running 4.1.1-S, buildworld 4.1.1-S, 74 hours, 53 minutes.
>
> Now, I couldn't see that buildworld for 3.5-S would take 12 hours, then on
> the same machine, buildworld for 4.1.1-S would take nearly 75 hours.
> Besides the upgrade from 3.5 to 4.1.1, the only change was that I mounted
> all non-root partitions with softupdates enabled.
>
> So, I disable softupdates on all partitions and try again.  Now it only
> takes 44 hours and 30 minutes to buildworld.  Only, ha.
>
> So what's happening here?  Softupdates slow down buildworld?  4.1.1 does
> buildworld slower than 3.5 and earlier?  Or 4.1.1 buildworld takes a lot
> longer than earlier versions?  Or my system is just weird?

I'm assuming weird up front. I find a 4.1.1 BW takes 36xxu and 1:23 of
clock time on my P-II 400 with 256MB of memory and UDMA33 HD's. You
p133 should be about 6x or more slower as a guess. I think your
differences, based on really minimal information, are probably due to
the kind of HD's you have and how much memory.

Kent

> Not a matter of life and death--the system seems to be running happily,
> buildworld completes, etc, but just curious as to why it's taking so much
> longer for 4.1.1 buildworlds...
>
> Ken

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA