Date:      Fri, 25 Apr 1997 03:59:47 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <jmg@hydrogen.nike.efn.org>
To:        Wayne Baety <mrfoine@enteract.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: routed and small subnets

Wayne Baety scribbled this message on Apr 25:
> On Sat, 19 Apr 1997, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
>
> > what version of ppp are you running?  user ppp (iijppp) or kernel ppp
> > (pppd)...  I have patches for kernel ppp that allows you to specify it to
>
> Can I have a look at those patches??

these patches that I talk about are for servers, to automaticly add a
network route for a client's network...  of course I now run gated which
makes this unneccessary as it will automaticly add the network route when
it sees the "remote" router...  i.e.

   +--------------+     +-----------------+
   | Server       |     | Client          |
   | 192.168.0.30 +-----+ 192.168.3.0/24  |
   +----+---------+     +-----------------+

   +----+---------------+
   | Internet via slirp |
   +--------------------+

this is what I use to connect a friends network to my network... which
is then connected to inet...

> Is there a way that i can have kernel ppp somehow reconfigure the ppp0
> device so that i can recieve ip packets?  or is there some way that i can
> recieve ip packets when i have dynamic ip...

see my response to (2) below....

> for instance, say i have...
>
> ifconfig ppp0 10.0.0.1 10.0.0.2

this is never needed... the closest is possibly adding an alias to ppp0...
but I don't think that would work to well... you would want to add the
aliases to lo0 before ppp0...

> and i get an active dynamic ppp connection going with kernel ppp
> how can i either (1) recieve all packets and translate them to my machines
> address (the packets will have the negotiated ip in them) w/ NAT
> perhaps...or (2) configure kernel ppp (pppd) to automatically change the
> configs to the negotiatied values?

about (1)... I'm not sure how to do that... I haven't set up natd (that
uses divert sockets) or iijppp's alias mode (you'll probably have better
luck with this) to do address translation...

but on (2), pppd should automaticly negotiate the ip addresses and configure
the ppp0 appropriately...  it does it when I use the stock pppd with the
following command line:
pppd asyncmap 0 defaultroute cuaD00 38400
and this is with an empty /etc/ppp/options file...   it will automaticly
configure the ppp0 with the ip addresses of both ends... and these change
almost EVERY connect...

hope this helps... ttyl...

--
  John-Mark
  Cu Networking                             Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD