Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 2002 08:39:03 +0100 (BST)
From:      Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Reference-counting API

Lost the initial message, but as I recall the "consensus" was:
 - reference managing calls for refcounts that need a lock
 - do it by hand for structures that are protected by a mutex

Might I suggest* that an API for the second set of calls would still be
useful? They might be a bunch of trivial macros, but having explicit
refcounting "calls" are: easier to find; document the use better (it's a
refcount, but we hold a mutex on it already); easier to instrument if
required.

Cheers,
jan

* no, I don't have the patch

Usenet: The separation of content AND presentation - simultaneously.