Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 1995 08:21:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      william pechter ILEX <pechter@stars.sed.monmouth.army.mil>
To:        jkh@freefall.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@wcarchive.cdrom.com (FreeBSD-hackers)
Subject:   Re: E-mail/phone support for FreeBSD

> > FreeBSD's user base is a lot smaller than I thought.  I like the idea,
> > but I can't see hiring one person as being an effective solution.
>
> They would do for a start. I think you miscalculate the percentage of
> user base that actually calls for tech support.  Linux is huge, and we
> only get between 30 and 40 calls a day..  One person full-time can
> easily handle that and we're nowhere near as big as Linux.  This goes
> double if they also put some time into implementing better mail
> robots, an answers-by-FAX system, a more usable WWW based FAQ, etc.
>
> 					Jordan

I think it's doable.  It's pretty amazing how many new installs can be
supported by one medium-level sysadmin type with a software/hardware
background.

I know at least a half dozen Linux installs I supported *(before and during
FreeBSD)*.

Most new users need the simple things answered, fdisk, user accounts,
Xconfig...

The !@#$%^&* is the ones with uncompatible or unfriendly hardware
combinations. (Linux and Coherent were the only Unix-ish systems (I was
told Sco and SysVR3 and R4 -- with a special patch from a driver writer
from AT&T) that would work on the Perstor RLL controller.  I'm looking
to see if 2.1 will work on it.   This one HAS to have a working bad144
to work.

(*I'm even willing to send one controller out west if anyone wants to try it*)

Bill

Bill

 Bill Pechter |Systems Administrator  |
 Ilex Systems |170 Patterson Ave      | Shrewsbury, New Jersey 07702
 908-532-2369 |pechter@sesd.ilex.com  | pechter@stars.sed.monmouth.army.mil