Date:      Tue, 11 Apr 2000 20:43:59 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Macintosh access to FreeBSD over TCP/IP ??

Chris Hill writes:
> One thing about pkg_delete is that you have to know the exact name of
> the package that was installed, and I don't know how to find that out.

All your installed packages are named in /var/db/pkg/. If you use tcsh
or bash as your shell then its nice to "cd /var/db/pkg" before doing
pkg_delete as you can use the filename expansion feature of the shell
to type the rest of the package you wish to delete. In tcsh you type
the first part and hit <TAB>. The shell will type as much as it can
then beep if its not complete.

Or you could type, "pkg_info" to get another kind of list.
% pkg_info
Mesa-3.0            A graphics library similar to SGI's OpenGL
XFree86-3.3.6       X11R6.3/XFree86 core distribution
a2ps-letter-4.3     Formats an ascii file for printing on a postscript printer.
aalib-1.2           An ascii art library
acroread-4.0        View, distribute and print PDF documents
[...]

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net