Date:      Sat, 21 Jun 1997 16:49:12 -0500
From:      Tom Jackson <toj@gorilla.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HD & X11 Installation

On Fri, Jun 20, 1997 at 01:49:46PM -0400, Kathy Clark wrote:
> I stole a suggestion from an earlier e-mail regarding installing a
> 2nd HD and it didn't work for me
>
> 	/stand/sysinstall
> 	select 7 "custom"
>
> It only came up with wd0.  I have an IDE (wd0) and a SCSI (sd0).
> I installed FreeBSD a month ago on the wd0 and now I want to
> mount the sd0 and use it too.  Any suggestions on how to get
> the sd0 recognized and up and running.  BTW, this is a Compaq.
> I know, yuk ;p and it did recognize the scsi before when it
> was just a lowly ole PC running Windows.

Are you saying that when you boot fbsd with both drives, the probe msgs
don't mention the scsi controller nor the scsi drive? Is it a on mother-
board controller or a scsi controller card; what kind (eg chip set)

hint: leave the root (/) partition on the ide drive.

> Secondly, I want to run X windows.  I have both cdrom's
> for 2.2.1.  I don't recall anything under /stand/sysinstall
> that allows you to install X.  Would I best benefit from
> copying over everything from /usr/X11R6/bin from another
> system and trying that.  Of course, this might be the easy
> way out and I'd rather suffer through the learning curve.

I believe once you get the custom install working to label and slice your
scsi drive, you will have no trouble installing X from there. Hang in there.

Tom