Date:      18 Nov 2003 17:32:40 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        RYAN vAN GINNEKEN <rmvg@shaw.ca>
Subject:   Re: portsdb -uU

RYAN vAN GINNEKEN <rmvg@shaw.ca> writes:

> getting this error for my portsdb -uU i just snipped part of it
> because it is huge almost all the ports i would say.
> Did a cvsup for all the ports and realized i did not have the space to
> spare for them so did a rm -R * in the /usr/ports dir did another
> cvsup just the ports i needed and now i get this horrible error my
> cvsup file is also included in case it has something to do with things.

If the dependency isn't there when the database is being built, portdb
will complain (makes sense; you can't build that port without its
dependencies, after all).  It does, however, continue.  So it makes
sense that you would get a massive number of such complaints if you
downloaded only a few categories of ports.

If it's just the messages that are bothering you, redirect them to
/dev/null when you build the portupgrade db.