Date:      Sat, 21 Apr 2001 06:40:45 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Alex Popa <razor@ldc.ro>
Cc:        Chris Faulhaber <jedgar@fxp.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: more on promiscuity

In message <20010421160533.A56321@ldc.ro>, Alex Popa writes:
> On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 09:55:37AM -0400, Chris Faulhaber wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 08:52:50AM -0500, George.Giles@mcmail.vanderbilt.ed
> u wrote:
> > > Ntop, I assume, will enable ?
> > > How do I disable once it is enabled ?
> > >

> > It will be disabled when the program terminates (you should have
> > both enabled and disabled entries in your logs)
>
> When using user ppp, and tcpdump on my tun0 interface, the interface
> gets into promiscuous mode, but not out of promisc mode.
> (I am bit unsure, but I think it stays promisc even after quitting
> ppp, not that it would be a problem I think)

You and I are on the same page.  I just asked for an MFC of
src/sys/net/if_tun.c 1.90 for 4.4-RELEASE.  If you want to fix this
now, patch your system with,

http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/net/if_tun.c.diff?r1=1.89&;
r2=1.90

Don't forget to remove the identification part of the patch, that's the
first part, which is specific to -current, or the patch will fail to
apply.  The second part of the patch, the actual code change, patches
cleanly and fixes the problem for me.

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC