Date:      Wed, 24 May 2000 00:35:34 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        Willem Brown <willem@brwn.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DNS and e-mail.

Willem Brown wrote:

> Hi,
>
>         I'm running a secondary DNS for my domain which is
> hosted by Granitecanyon. The idea was that whenever the two
> main DNS servers are unavailable that mine will be used so
> I don't get cut off from the world completely.

	unfortunately, DNS does not work that way.

>         What then causes my DNS to be queried when I send an
> e-mail to the list? Any ideas?

	The fact that you have it listed in the NS records for your domain. The
terms "primary" and "secondary" are only relative to where you update
the files. Secondary (or slave) nameservers pick up their updates from
the primary or master nameservers. Every nameserver listed in the NS
records will be queried on a more or less equal basis. You see an
increase in traffic because the overall number of queries for your
domain has gone up.

	The only way to resolve this problem is to remove your nameserver from
the NS records.

HTH,

Doug
--
        "Live free or die"
		- State motto of my ancestral homeland, New Hampshire