Date:      Tue, 31 Dec 2002 06:51:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      Rostislav Krasny <rosti_bsd@yahoo.com>
To:        Eli Dart <dart@nersc.gov>
Cc:        freeBSD-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPPoE and troubles with TCP

I think that I found the source of my problem.

In case of FreeBSD usage the first two TCP/IP packets are with
following optins:

1. my host -----> SYN (DF) -----> www.ssh.com
   options = <mss 1452,nop,wscale 0,nop,nop,timestamp 1532715 0>

2. my host <----- ACK,SYN <----- www.ssh.com
   options = <mss 1460,nop,wscale 0,nop,nop,timestamp 12034970 1532715>

In case of Win98SE usage the first two TCP/IP packets are with
following options"

1. my host -----> SYN (DF) -----> www.ssh.com
   options = <mss 1452,nop,nop,0402>

2. my host <----- ACK,SYN <----- www.ssh.com
   options = <mss 1452>

0402 is SACK-Permitted option that IMHO have no influence to the
problem. More information about this option can be found in RFCs 1072,
2018.

Following command solved the problem with www.ssh.com:

sysctl net.inet.tcp.rfc1323=0

Now, when I use FreeBSD, the first two TCP/IP packets are with
following options:
1. my host -----> SYN (DF) -----> www.ssh.com
   options = <mss 1452>

2. my host <----- ACK,SYN <----- www.ssh.com
   options = <mss 1460>

I don't know exactly what happened before I reconfigured TCP of my
FreeBSD but it seems like some host (my or www.ssh.com) have a bug with
TCP and its scaling extention option, described in RFC 1323.

I think that more deeper analysis is needed. For example, why the
second packet have MSS == 1452 in case of Win98SE usage and MSS == 1460
in case of FreeBSD usage (before and after TCP reconfiguration)? How
MRU == MTU == 1484 (or smaller) helped before TCP of my FreeBSD was
reconfigured?

P.S. Happy new year!  :-))