Date:      Mon, 2 Oct 2000 10:06:35 -0400
From:      "Sean O'Connell" <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>
To:        Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD mobile <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 4.1-RELEASE pccard?

Thomas David Rivers stated:
:
: I'm having problems upgrading a 3.4 system to 4.1.
: I thought I might be able to provide more information:
:
: On 3.4, it was able to use the ethernet pccard (an ed0
: clone card made by Archtek).  This is the pccard.conf
: entry it had:
:
:    # SmartLink (Archtek Fast Ethernet Adaptor)
:    card "PCMCIA" "FastEthernet"
:         config auto "ed0" any 0x30000
:         insert  logger -s SmartLink inserted
:         insert  /etc/pccard_ether $device
:         remove  logger -s SmartLink removed
:         remove  /etc/pccard_ether_remove $device
:
:
: But, on 4.1 - I don't seem to be able to get it to
: work... pccardd will find the card... with the
: messages:
:
:      pccardd[43]: Card "PCMCIA"("FastEthernet") [V] [1.0] matched "PCMCIA" ("FastEhternet") [(null)][(null)]
:    ed1 at port 0x300-0x31f irq 3 slot 1 on pccard1
:    ed1: address 01:02:00:ff:15:1d, type NE2000 (16 bit)
:    Oct  2 09:14:27 canteens pccardd[43]: ed1: SmartLink inserted.
:    Oct  2 09:14:27 canteens pccarddd[43]: pccardd started
:    Oct  2 09:14:29 canteens /kernel: ed1: device timeout
:
: The entry I have in /etc/defaults/pccard.conf is:
:
:    # SmartLink (Archtek Fast Ethernet Adaptor)
:    card "PCMCIA" "FastEthernet"
: 	config auto "ed" ? 0x30000
: 	logstr "SmartLink"
: 	insert /etc/pccard_ether $device
: 	remove /sbin/ifconfig $device delete
:
:
: I've tried changing the pccard_flags to use various IRQs,
: only IRQ #3 and IRQ #5 seem to get this far (all others
: fail..)
:
: The machine is a Sony VAIO PCG-F480.
:
: Again, just moments ago (before the upgrade) this hardware
: worked just fine with FreeBSD 3.4-RELEASE and the PAO kernel.
:
: Any assistance/pointers, etc... would be appreciated.

Dave-

This sounds like an irq problem.  If you send along a your
dmesg output and the bits from rc.conf, I can probably help.
The kernel config may be of some use (usually dmesg is enough).

I would make sure you know what your free irq's are.  If the
vaio uses irq 10 for anything the problem may lie in your
pcic controller (which is hardwired to 10 ... this is going to
be fixed RSN).

I would try changing the pccard support in the kernel to just

device card
device pcic0 at isa?

which should put the pcic in polling mode.  Next, change the ed
support in the kernel to just:

device ed

(this will get rid of the irq 10 hardcode on it and make it probe
 as ed0 :)

Next, make sure that sysinstall didn't add any weird bits to the
effect of (pccardd_flags that might be passing it non-free irqs).
Also, make sure that ed0 isn't disabled in /boot/kernel.conf. Another
thing to try, which I find useful is to add

options PNPBIOS

and then change all the sio support to just

device sio

which should pick up the onboard serial port (if enabled in bios)
and provide the necessary glue for pccard modems.

HTH,