Date:      Fri, 15 Jun 2001 15:35:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tenebrae <tenebrae@niceboots.com>
To:        Vivek Khera <khera@kciLink.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: shutdown not completing

On Fri, 15 Jun 2001, Vivek Khera wrote:

> >> answers on both ethernets).  The console then just sits there.  I
> >> never get the "flushing buffers" messages, nor do I get a prompt for
> >> entering the password to enter single user mode.
>
> t> Try shutdown -h now instead.
> t> -h is for halt.
> t> (man shutdown)
>
> Yes, but I want to go to single user mode to do make installworld.

They try shutdown -r now (-r to reboot).  There should be a point when you
reboot where it will go through the normal bios stuff, then pause for a
few seconds and prompt you to his Return to boot normally, or any other
key to do the funky single-user stuff.  I believe if you hit space or
something to interrupt, it will come up with a boot: prompt where you can
tell it /kernel -s (-s for single user mode).  I've only done this part
once, so it's not that clear in my mind.  One of the good people on the
list will surely correct me and steer you in the right direction.
								-Tenebrae.