Date:      Wed, 28 May 2014 12:17:06 -0500
From:      Mark Felder <feld@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Gene <fbsd@brightstar.bomgardner.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: info needed-upgrade 8.1 to 10.0 with zfs root

On 2014-05-28 12:06, Gene wrote:
> I've got an 8.1 amd64 system that I want to upgrade to 10.0. The system
> uses
> ZFS including root. Can anyone point me to reliable reading on
> upgrading -
> the handbook doesn't really get into ZFS and root, thanks -

Install 9.1 or 9.2 kernel, reboot, mergemaster -p, installworld,
mergemaster, zfs upgrade -a, zpool upgrade -a, make-delete-old, stamp
bootloaders, reboot

Install 10.0 kernel, reboot, mergemaster -p, installworld, mergemaster,
zfs upgrade -a, zpool upgrade, make-delete-old, stamp bootloaders,
rebuild/reinstall all ports/packages, make delete-old-libs, reboot

Now you're done

I find this easier to do than with freebsd-update, but I'm sure you
could go that route too. I just prefer the control.

I have a quick and dirty script for automating the stamping of
bootloaders: https://feld.me/freebsd/bootcode-update.sh