Date:      Mon, 04 Sep 2000 23:22:26 +0900
From:      Mitsuru IWASAKI <iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   CFR: New pseudo timer device driver for power management events

Hi,

I'm working on ACPI and thinking of sharing the related code with
other power management subsystem (currently apm) rather than having
duplicated code.  Updating timer/clock before and after sleeping, is
my first target.

My idea is that create new pseudo timer device driver for power
management events in i386/isa/pmtimer.c which should be statically
wired and always only one instance, then move
apm_default_{suspend|resume} in i386/apm/apm.c into pmtimer as
device_{suspend|resume} method.

Firstly I thought that this should be moved to i386/isa/clock.c and
define device_{suspend|resume} method of attimer. But I noticed that
it's for PnP and we cannot guarantee that there is always only one
device instance and device_{suspend|resume} is executed once per
event.

I put the code and diffs at
http://people.freebsd.org/~iwasaki/acpi/pmtimer.c
http://people.freebsd.org/~iwasaki/acpi/pmtimer.diff

Please review them, I'll commit this change this weekend.

Thanks!