Date:      Sun, 30 Jun 2002 07:54:45 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Benjamin Krueger <benjamin@seattleFenix.net>
Cc:        Andy Farkas <andyf@speednet.com.au>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD.Scalper.Worm

Benjamin Krueger wrote:

> * Andy Farkas (andyf@speednet.com.au) [020630 05:51]:
>
>>On Sat, 29 Jun 2002, Kent Stewart wrote:
>>

>>>One of the people sending mail to -docs, pointed me to
>>>
>>>http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/freebsd.scalper.worm.html
>>>
>>>It looks like more exposure needs to be provided via the web site and etc.
>>>
>>>Kent
>>>

>>Looks like this worm can be stopped by having /tmp mounted noexec.
>>

> Or running a non-vulnerable version of Apache.

That was my choice. I also upgraded from 1.3.24 to 2.0.39. I figured
that it was time.

I checked with people I knew and one of them had not upgraded Apache.
He had waited until an application to take andvantage of Apache's hole
and targeting FreeBSD had arrived. I figure there are more.

Kent.

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA