Date:      Sat, 20 Apr 1996 02:06:18 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Steve Reid <steve@edmweb.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mosaic Binary available for download?

Steve Reid wrote in message ID
<Pine.BSF.3.91.960419131919.3367A-100000@kirk.edmweb.com>:
> [Excuse me while I complain about Netscape]
> For now, I'm using the "Unknown-BSD" Netscape 2.01 on my 8 meg 486DX-25,
> but it's not exactly stable... I often end up with multiple Netscape
> windows when I only open one, and once in a while it reboots the machine.

That I've never seen...

> Just last night, I was using Netscape, and the system froze completely..
> I could move the mouse pointer, but I couldn't click on anything.
> CTRL-ALT-Backspace and CTRL-ALT-Delete wouldn't work... The whole system
> was frozen, and I had to hit the reset button. Worst of all, for the few
> minutes that the system was frozen, that STUPID netscape logo was STILL
> GOING!!! AND I COULDN'T KILL THE FRAGGIN THING!!! ARGH!!!!!!

Could you telnet in from another machine and look at the processes, or
even ping the box from another? I'm NOT convinced that lockup is
something that can be blamed on Netscape ... If nothing else, for
several months I had netscape 2 in my .xinitrc, and it was ALWAYS
running on my machine, and the only times it had problems was when I
did stupid things with the CDROM drive.

I'm not saying Netscape is the best piece of s/w in the world, but
this problem bears some investigation (esp. the lockup).

Gary
--
Gary Palmer                                            FreeBSD Core Team Member
FreeBSD - Turning PC's into workstations. See http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/ for info.