Date:      Thu, 22 Sep 2005 14:41:05 +0400
From:      Yar Tikhiy <yar@comp.chem.msu.su>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   "ifconfig -vlandev" syntax

Hi folks,

As our ifconfig(8) is growing more options for special interface
types, inconsistencies sneak into their syntax.  In particular,
-vlandev takes a useless argument (vlan(4) cannot attach to more
than one parent anyway) while, e.g., -carpdev doesn't need one.
Personally, I like the latter since having to type unneeded words
on the command line annoys me.  Do you think that making -vlandev
need no arguments in CURRENT would break many existing things?

--
Yar