Date:      Fri, 21 Oct 2011 08:30:20 +0200
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
To:        "freebsd-performance@freebsd.org" <freebsd-performance@freebsd.org>
Subject:   LLVM/CLANG and several OpenCL projects: FreeBSD or any *BSD developer involved?

As I'm not a developer, but for scientific purposes highly interested in
using GPUs, the only way of doing HPC computing at the moment is with
nVidias TESLA/nVidia consumer graphics cards and LINUX, since on Linux
one willing to use the GPU has the necessary libraries, driver and
compilers.

I'm hoping that *BSD, at least FreeBSD, is involved in the ongoing
development of LLVM and especially CLANG, since I see a great chance to
get GPGPU stuff via OpenCL into one of the systems.

Today I stumbled, while searching for news regarding to open and free
OpenCL/LLVM based implementations into several announcements on Phoronix
(see phoronix.com). There are is a very interesting project in
Saarbrücken, another has just announced  an open and BSD-style licensed
library and I hope there are more projects popping up next time. It is
awesome how fast now the community is focussing on CLANG and OpenCL.

The pitty is all of these projects are highly Linux related and I see
not one BSD-like development movement in that part. It seems, as *BSD
developers are hiding or being passive waiting for until Linux stuff
gets ready and then adapting it. this makes me feel strange, since this
is the typical behaviour of always being in "the second row".

My question is simple and easy: Is there any *BSD ambition to
participate on the development of any free implementation of OpenCL free
libraries and, obviously, the more important thing, to implement some
kind of kernel facility, the OpenCL stack, into FreeBSD or any *BSD to
make the BSD claims loud and clear in the community?

For me personally, the situation becomes a little bit unsatisfying,
since for my scientific work I drift more and more into Linux, which
provides with the very good stuff provided from nVidia OpenCL, compiler
and even high performance graphics chips. As I now has to provide also
administrative tasks for some Linux systems, I won't go deeper into my
resistance having also Linux on my desktop or even as a backbone for my
infrastructure.

To make is short. Can someone provide informations or some details in
how any *BSD developer is, if, involved in the development of an OpenCL
stack, free libraries or even OpenCL CLANG frontend/LLVM backend? Are
their chances to get also FreeBSD atop the list of GPGPU capable
operating systems in a near future?

Thanks a lot for your patience and I'd like to apology for bringing up
this stuff repeatedly.

Oliver