Date:      Sat, 5 Aug 2000 22:02:15 +0400 (MSD)
From:      "Andrew L. Neporada" <andrew@Chg.RU>
To:        Fred Condo <fred@condo.chico.ca.us>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Does anyone succeed on making world from 3.5S to 4.1S ?

On Sat, 5 Aug 2000, Fred Condo wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 04, 2000 at 02:03:07PM +0400, Andrew L. Neporada wrote:
> > 			-- Andrew.

> > > A buildworld of 4.1-RELEASE on a 3.5-RELEASE box worked for me.
> > > I haven't installed it yet.
> >
> > Buildworld (sources approx. 4.1-RC2, system - 3.5-STABLE) worked for me
> > too, but when I made installworld it fails with Signal 12 in the middle of
> > process. Subsequent runs of make installworld cause immediate failure
> > with message obout LC_CTIME!=... (sorry, don't remember details). I'm sure
> > this is not a hardware issue because it happens on two different boxes
> > (not overclocked)
>
> This happened to me, too, in the midst of a hot upgrade of a
> production server. It happens because the newly built shell
> makes a system call that your 3.x kernel lacks. (Signal 12 is
> unimplemented system call.)
>
> I thought I was going to have to upgrade from CD, but after a little
> thought, I was able to work around this because I *also* had the 3.x
> sources in /usr/src3 (I was feeling paranoid, and I'm glad). I went
> into /usr/src3/bin/sh and did a make install -- that restored a good
> shell. Then it went back to my 4.1 sources and did a make
> installkernel, did the rest of the steps to install the new kernel as
> /kernel, and rebooted single-user.

Hmm, I did not have 3.x sources, so I thought I was going
to do a binary upgrade from CD. Fortunately, I succeded in booting with
new (4.x) kernel in single user mode. I have installed it *before* doing
installworld (as recommended in UPDATING). After that I successfully made
installworld.

P.S. Thanks anyway for your advise.

> I was then able to make installworld.
>
> If you do not have the 3.x sources available, you will probably have
> to boot from a CD and do an upgrade install of 4.0 or 4.1-RELEASE,
> then re-cvsup, rebuild your world and kernel, and install your kernel
> before doing your installworld.
>
> --
> Fred Condo + fred@condo.chico.ca.us
> This above all -- to thine own self be true. -- Wm. Shakespeare

			--Andrew.