Date:      Fri, 09 Oct 2009 20:57:02 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Lars Eighner <luvbeastie@larseighner.com>
Cc:        Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: for perl wizards.

--------------enig5EA2BA77B945FACB802A0F7E

Lars Eighner wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Oct 2009, Warren Block wrote:

>> That's twice now people have suggested sed instead of perl.  Why?  For=
=20
>> many uses, perl is a better sed than sed.  The regex engine is far=20
>> more powerful and escapes are much simpler.

> Because sed is stable and perl is getting all OO and flaky.  Sed will w=
ork
> like sed for so long as there are unix-like systems.  It is not clear t=
hat
> perl is going to continue to work.

What utter tosh.  Perl's Object Oriented features have been in place for =
years
and, believe it or not, perl programs written for Perl 4 still continue t=
o work
with little or no modification under the very latest perl release, right =
alongside
the stuff written yesterday that uses all the very latest features.  That=
's a damn
sight better track record than almost any other actively developed langua=
ge you=20
could mention.

There's nothing that forces you to program Perl in an OO style -- procedu=
ral
style works just fine.  You could probably make a fair stab at writing in=
purely functional style (like Ocaml) if you felt that way inclined.

I get very irritated with the current vogue in certain quarters for doing=
 down
Perl.  So what if you personally don't like coding in Perl?  No one is ho=
lding a
gun to your head and making you do it.  Write in what ever language suits=
 you,
but don't try and force me to conform to your prejudices.

	Matthew

--=20
                                                  Flat 3
                                                  Kent, CT11 9PW