Date:      Fri, 3 Feb 2012 23:18:47 -0600
From:      "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads@cox.net>
To:        "bsalinux@gmail.com" <bsalinux@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fixating USB Storage

On Thu, 2 Feb 2012 16:41:39 -0800
"bsalinux@gmail.com" <bsalinux@gmail.com> wrote:

> Please ignore, I forgot that I asked this before. Thanks.
>
> On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 4:38 PM, bsalinux@gmail.com
> <bsalinux@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > How can I fix a USB storage device to always have the same device
> > name such as da9 irrespective of other da? devices present.
> >
> > Here is the device
> > # usbconfig -u 4 -a 2 dump_info
> > ugen4.2: <USB Flash Drive USB 2.0> at usbus4, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH
> > (480Mbps) pwr=ON
> >
> > Thanks

I don't know if anyone else has already mentioned it to you in response
to this question, but I just very recently switched over to using volume
labels to mount my partitions instead of device names.  I was having an
ongoing issue where this external USB drive's device number assignment
would change from one boot to the next, toggling back and forth between
da0 and da4 (strange!).  Then just the other night,  something led me to
one of Warren Block's web pages describing how to easily label a volume
and use that instead in /etc/fstab, so shifting device assignments no
longer matter.  How lovely!  :-)

Here it is, "FreeBSD Labeled Filesystems", by Warren Block
<wblock@wonkity.com>

http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/labels.html

A regular little gem of knowledge that was to discover.  :-)

--
Conrad J. Sabatier
conrads@cox.net