Date:      Wed, 2 Oct 2002 00:32:09 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Marc Schneiders <marc@schneiders.org>
To:        Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
Cc:        Liquid <liquid@liquidonline.ca>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Bare minimum requirements for FreeBSD installation

On Wed, 2 Oct 2002, at 00:25 [=GMT+0200], Erik Trulsson wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 05:54:02PM -0400, Liquid wrote:

> Recent versions of FreeBSD require at least 16MB RAM to install.
> The last version that could be installed on 8MB RAM was FreeBSD 3.2
> One possibility is to install 3.2 on it and then upgrade to 4.x in
> steps afterwards.

Or put the harddisk in another machine and install/configure FreeBSD 4
there. Some time ago I got some 3 version running that way on a
notebook (486/33) with 5MB (640k + 4MB actually), installing on
another 486, making kernel stripped of all that was not necessary (NFS
costs a lot of bytes) there too, and it did run.