Date:      Wed, 30 Mar 2005 11:55:01 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Jeremy Messenger" <mezz7@cox.net>
Cc:        freebsd gnome <freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: end-user whines about 2.10

> From: "Jeremy Messenger" <mezz7@cox.net>
> Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 14:20:59 -0600
> Sender: owner-freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org

> >> This is documented in the GNOME 2.10 release notes.  I'm now using
> >> mail/mail-notification as a replacement, but it is not as real-time as
> >> the applet used to be.
> >
> > i can start and configure it, but nothing appears in the
> > panel.  and with 500 msgs a day, popups i just don't need.

> >> It's a purple icon next to the flashing monitors.
> >
> > ack.  'cept the signal strength is not really readable, see
> > <http://rip.psg.com/~randy/signal.jpg>; where i can not see how
> > it tells me the strength, according to whoppens when i click
> > it, is 66%.
> >
> > and how to get rid of those silly monitors?  also, the
> > preferences/configure option seems not to work, "The interface
> > does not exist," when indeed ath0 does and shows on those
> > lovely flashing monitors.

> >> I just create custom drawers, and that works fine in GNOME 2.10.
> >
> > maybe if you don't have a complex hierarchy of them and need to
> > label each drawer so you know what you're doing.  and they're
> > screen sticky!

> >> Check your gstreamer audio settings.
> >
> > uh, against what?  and what should they be?  current settings
> > are in <http://rip.psg.com/~randy/gstreamer.jpg>.
> >
> > whine whine whine :-)
>
> Almost all of your 'whine' should be take up to GNOME developers.

Agreed. many of the changes made in 2.10 are IMHO poor choices. I have
lost functionality and seen continued movement to forcing all Gnome
users to do things the same way.

For Randy, I'd suggest that he install gkrellm. It does eat up more
screen space, but provides much more useful displays. The wireless
plug-in shows signal strength. Another provides xmms control and the
basic tool does biff. What's more it can monitor disk and file system
use, memory, swap, battery, and most everything else. It can also be
started as a daemon and run remotely.

The only Gnome monitoring applet I use is the CPU Frequency Scaling
Monitor. (I am working on powerd, so it's essential.)
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)