Date:      Thu, 08 Aug 1996 15:34:10 -0700
From:      Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IDE or SCSI if only one drive

Some of this was private email, some already on freebsd-hardware...

> 	try www.corpsys.com

I've looked there and am actually considering drives from there, but the
inexpensive ones there seem to be full height 5.25" drives compared to the
[what seems to be normal these days] half height 3.5" drives...takes a bit
more space and probably a bit more power to run. Actually, the closest I saw
(to the new 2Gb IDE drives I've been seeing all over) was:

	Seagate 2.9GB SCSI-II Drive $339
            Fast SCSI 10MB/s burst rate
            5400 RPM spindle speed
            10ms average access time
            Brand new - one year warranty
            Full Height 5 1/4" drive

it seems like all of their new drives seem to have a 90 day or one year
warranty, where a lot of the others I've seen are 3-5 year warranties.

> www.isn.com and their "Sequel DFRS 2.25GB SCSI hard drive"

I think I've seen that before (but I can't find it on that site at the moment).
Does that drive have a decent track record? They've also got some new drives
getting down close to $400 (e.g. Micropolis 4421).

> Fry's Computers (the chain in Calif)

I've been to the stores in Campbell & Sunnyvale (if I remember correctly). I
keep hoping for a store like Fry's up here in the Seattle area.  Maybe I'll
have to coerce one of my Bay Area relatives into browsing their stock? Any
idea if they do mail order?

Oh well, I don't know, we'll see...maybe I should do a little more WWW
browsing? or finish going thru that Computer Shopper I just bought? or maybe
it's time for an impulse buy at CompUSA (or whatever) one of these days...:-))

Thanx,
Scott Blachowicz  Ph: 206/283-8802x240   Mathsoft (Data Analysis Products Div)
                                         1700 Westlake Ave N #500
scott@statsci.com                        Seattle, WA USA   98109
Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org