Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2017 14:24:12 -0700
From:      Sam George <ciradrak@centurylink.net>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HP ProLiant Gen10 & HPE Smart Array P408i-a SR

On 11/15/2017 12:02 PM, Scott Lamons wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>
> I forwarded your message to some folks I've been working with at HPE on
> getting us access to their latest hardware for enablement of FreeBSD.   I
> would also encourage you, and others on this list, to please contact your
> HPE rep and ensure they are aware of the need to support FreeBSD.
>
> I would also be very interested to learn more about your use case for
> FreeBSD if you're willing and able to share (publicly or privately).   This
> would help me make the business case to HPE.

Just to throw in here.

I also have a Proliant DL360p but it's an older Gen8.  My primary use
for it is a zfs supported file server under FreeBSD 11.1   The Gen8
P420i controller causes heartache under FreeBSD.  I finally gave up
trying to get direct access to the disks and gave a raid5 virtual disk
to zfs.  And yes, getting it to boot was not easy either.  It also made
things difficult that I'm an individual who privately owns this, and
have no HPE rep or support from them -- getting firmware upgrades (which
was necessary to get it working) was very hard.  (No one had _ever_
upgraded _any_ of the firmwares on it.)  :(

-Sam George