Date:      Wed, 26 Jan 2000 10:41:47 +0800
From:      "C.W. Huang" <huangcw@eagle.ee.ntu.edu.tw>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Questions about PPSAPI

--------------2D61C4DED72748BE1673F802

Hi,
    Recently, I have to fetch PPS from FreeBSD. The OS version
I used is 4.0-20000101 and PPS source is GPS receiver.
    Typically, GPS receiver transmits data via RS232 and PPS
is connected to DCD pin. However, I received nothing by the
function code, time_pps_fetch, as I connected GPS receiver to
cuaa0 (com1). (I can read the ascii code from the receiver.)
    After reading more from the file LINT, it seems to provide
PPSAPI on parallel port in FreeBSD. I think so because of the
description of /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT as follow:
"device pps0 at ppbus?"
    Under such condition, I don't know I should connect my pps
to which pin of parallel port. Am I right? Or it should use
serial port in FreeBSD? If parallel port be used, how do I map
the data transmit, data receive and pps to connector? Please give
me a hand.

Thank you in advance.

Chin-Wei Huang

--------------2D61C4DED72748BE1673F802